< < < Date > > > | < < < Thread > > >

US shuts down Yugoslav Internet

From:          aca@beonet.yu (A. Krstanovic)
Subject:       US shuts down Yugoslav Internet

Dear  sirs,

We have reliable information that the US Government ordered Loral Orion
company to shut down its satellite feeds for Internet customers in
Yugoslavia.

This action might be taken as soon as later tonight or tomorrow (May 12 or
13, 1999).

This is a flagrant violation of commercial contracts with Yugoslav ISPs,
as well as an attack on freedom of the Internet.

A Web site in protest of these actions should be up shortly. We will
supply you with the URL. In the meantime, please be so kind to inform as
many people as possible about this tragic event for the Internet community
in Yugoslavia and Europe.

Kind regards,
BeoNET
Belgrade, Yugoslavia

http://www.beonet.yu

*The China Syndrome?* - Loral says the NATO embargo obliged it to sever
Yugoslavian ISPs' satellite feeds. But is there a China missle-secrets
connection?

     http://www.motherjones.com/total_coverage/kosovo/internet.html